Friday, December 6, 2013

Food Gifts: Balsamic Roasted Garlic

Since I have to get all of my Christmas presents done early this year (we'll be out of town the week before), I thought it might be a good idea to share with you guys some of the gifts I'll be making. Hopefully these ideas and how-to's help you with your gift-giving this year.

I'm a big advocate of the homemade present, and particularly the edible homemade present. I always try to incorporate handmade edibles into all of my gift giving and I change it up each year. One year I did giant cupcakes decorated as ornaments and I gifted them in adorable, festive boxes. That same year I also made mini ornament cupcakes for parties and large groups I was bringing gifts for. I've also done cookies of all kinds and one year I made a couple of weeks worth of frozen meals for my parents. They were all designed to just defrost and throw in the oven so that my family could have a home cooked meal even when they were busy. The options are endless.

This will be a series of posts and I'll also include ideas for labeling and wrapping the food gifts as well.

This year, one of the gifts I'm giving is balsamic roasted garlic. It seems a little odd, but it's useful and fun little present for any chefs and garlic lovers in your life. The plus, this stuff lasts a really long time if it's sealed and in the fridge so you can make it a little ways ahead of time.



All you need to make this is:
Aluminum foil
Lots of heads of garlic (depending on how much you want to give)
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Kosher or sea salt
Jars (I used a couple of sizes of mason jars. Use whatever you like but make sure it's pretty and seals fairly well)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Then, chop the very tops off of the heads of garlic, so a little bit of each clove is exposed.

Line a baking pan of some kind (I used glass) with foil and drizzle a little olive oil over the foil. Then arrange the heads of garlic cut side up.

Drizzle them with a little more olive oil and some balsamic, then sprinkle them with a little salt.

It should look a little like this. 

Now, cover the pans with foil and toss them in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.

When they come out, let them cool a little and remove each of the cloves from their skin. It shouldn't be too hard now that they are cooked.

Put the cloves back into the foil, drizzle them with more olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then wrap the foil around them to make a little pouch.

Toss them back into the oven for another 15 minutes or so. Take them out of the oven, stir them up, and roast them for another 15 minutes. They should be golden, smell delicious, and be a bit soft.

Now you can package them up.

Roasted garlic has a ton of uses, and it might be a good idea to include a little gift tag with ideas. It's great spread on toast and it a wonderful addition to virtually any pasta sauce. You can also spread it on crackers or even eat it on it's own.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment